Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Granite's in





Last night, Sara dropped a "time capsule" into a crevice in the cabinets. Her time capsule contained some items from the present (a print-out of msn.com's front page, her facebook page, a tax bill for our house, and a note). Once the granite was installed, her time capsule was sealed in, to one day be unearthed again decades in the future, if/when anyone renovates this kitchen again.
The granite was installed today. And I love it. From a few feet away it looks black, but up close it has specks of various shades of black and gray, and even a few sparkles. I am not too happy about the scratches in my floor, however. More to come on that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! And I like the time capsule idea.

Tracey said...

Holy Cow, that looks amazing!! What a difference. If I was that person who just might buy your house decades or more from now, I wouldn't change a thing!! Loving it!!! Could you come design our kitchen, after the kids leave the nest. Hope you'll have the energy to do so. Interior decorator!!!

Tracey said...

And to add, I can't wait til the next family gathering-How about Christmas?? I can't wait til next Easter. I want to be there now.

Anita said...

I would love to have Christmas here, if everyone would be willing to drive this far. But you know you never have to wait for a holiday to come visit - you can come any time!

Anonymous said...

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of doing in or kitchen- getting rid of the white counters and putting in black speckled granite. The prices scared me!

Anita said...

We got a good price. We ended up paying around $59/sqft, or just under $4000 total. That included the upgraded edge, tax, and installation of two undermount sinks. That price also included two free sinks but they didn't offer the exact sizes we wanted so we didn't take the free sinks. And, from the day they measured, they had it installed 3 days later. Can't beat that.

And they had about 30 granites to choose from at that price. Home Depot has about 10 granites to chose from and they want $89/sqft, PLUS tax, edging and sink installation.

Anonymous said...

So, who gave you that good price?