Monday, March 17, 2008

the kitchen-family room project begins..




Yesterday Dave and I went to Lowes (it was the third session for me and Mike Sullivan, our uber-patient cabinet designer) and ordered our cabinets. We ordered Shenandoah Dominion Square, in cherry with a "spice" finish. Here's a picture of the cabinets from the manufacturer's website, along with a scan of our final floorplan and a shot of the projected project.
I went a good $2000 over budget, with all my glass doors, end panels, built-up crown molding, etc... Lots of bells and whistles but I think they will be worth it.
So, now we wait 4-8 weeks for the cabinets to arrive. In the meantime, Joe is going to start the demolition of the family room (Phase I of the project), on March 25. Phase II, the actual install of the kitchen, won't start until May. That gives me plenty of time to obsess over countertops, paint colors, and flooring.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a nice finish. the top cabinets don't have any knobs. Are you getting the knobless ones?

Anita said...

no, we'll have to choose some knobs. I have been looking at them but haven't decided on anything. Dave has said he wants a pewter or brushed nickel finish, so that's what we're leaning toward. But that be one of the last things we choose.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Have fun choosing the knobs-there are way too many to choose from. I'd have to say i'm rather partial to silver/nickel, too, if you want my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

I just looked at the plan more closely (I seem to be doing a lot of things piecemeal these days)--where does your fridge and washer and dryer go? I couldn't figure that out.

Anita said...

The fridge goes under the cabinet labeled "W3914 x 24 DP", in the corner of the pantry (what was the old laundry room). A new doorway will be added to the pantry so that traffic can flow directly through the pantry into the kitchen. We will no longer have to walk all the way through the family room to get to the kitchen.

The pantry is designed like a butler's pantry - glass doors on some of the cabinets, a wine rack, and a bar sink.

The washer and dryer are now upstairs in the new laundry room that we created when we built the addition.

Anonymous said...

oh, right. I remember the laundry room upstairs now. I'm jealous of the pantry--I love those!