Thursday, November 02, 2006

pretty stickers!


Here's what our door looks like with all the pretty stickers. The red ones are failed inspections. There are a few more white ones (passed inspections, which are not as colorful) that were stuck to the electrical box or the architectural plans instead of the door, so it's not a full collection.

There were building, electrical, plumbing, and fire inspections. There was also that infamous insulation inspection. Incidentally, the building department claims they still haven't received the architect's letter changing the specifications of the insulation (even though it was faxed to them on September 28 AND I personally handed them a copy on October 2.... how convenient that I have a blog to document everything!), so technically we dont have an insulation approval yet.

Altogether, the building permit cost $1521, which was broken down as follows:

Building inspections - $698
Electical inspections - $130
Plumbing inspections - $305
Fire inspections - $100
DCA Training Fee (what??) - $165
Certificate of Occupancy (better be printed on some REALLY nice paper) - $123

Now you know where the money went.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally amazing! I wonder how Sue Savard is making out with the WTFD inspections. They too are raising a roof, and making their little house on the cove much bigger.

Anonymous said...

Being able to move the kids out of the bedroom - PRICELESS!

Anita said...

The inspections are supposed to protect the homeowners from sloppy construction. I appreciate their intention, but some of the 'violations' should simply be suggestions, and not hold everything else up.

And this thing about the insulation inspection, where they claim to have lost a letter that was faxed, mailed, and HANDED to them. When I hand-delivered the letter after they claimed they did not receive it by fax or mail (and I don't believe them, because I got my copy through the mail and my architect is very reliable), they told me to wait for a call from their office before assuming the insulation passed. So I called them a few days later, and they said, "we told you to wait for our call, don't call us". Now a month later, they still havent called. They obviously forgot all about it. And what should I do, refrain from calling because they told me not to call? forever?

Anonymous said...

I would nag, nag, nag. You've waited long enough!